top of page


Rural Change is a funded private well-being program for New Zealand farmers operated by the Will To Live Charitable Trust. 


Each farmer will have the opportunity to enhance and improve their health, happiness and well-being by accessing a personalised health professional guide, one funded private counselling/psychologist session, and onboarding to Rural Support Trust for future support.


Generally going private will mean shorter wait times and more experienced professionals that are dedicated to restoring your health long-term. 


Access to the fund is currently on hold as we fund the waitlist first. Our priority now is to support our farmers on the waitlist. Unfortunately, we cannot take on new applicants until this is complete. We apologise for the wait and recommend the Rural Support Trust National Facilitator team who can pay you a visit in the meantime, call 0800 Rural Help.

Please be advised that this program is currently on hold and awaiting further sponsorship. We will activate the application form once funding is available and we have processed the waitlist. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.



Everyone's needs and preferences are different and we want the best possible outcome for you, so here’s a few tips on how to choose a counsellor:

  • Research - if they have one, visit their website and see if their background sounds appealing to you

  • Think about whether you generally feel more comfortable speaking with someone from the same or a similar gender background to you.

  • Think about whether you want someone who understands your spiritual or cultural background

  • Shop around. You and the counsellor/s you interact with are only human and naturally not everyone will have perfect chemistry. If you don't feel comfortable with the counsellor you use, you don't have to keep going to them. 



Find someone that suits you and that you want on your team.


Remember, you want to pick someone you think you'll be comfortable talking about pretty much anything with and who will work with you in a style that works best for you. When it comes to your emotional well-being, you're allowed to be fussy.

Already have a great counsellor?


Fantastic, you may still be eligible for the RuralChange funding. 

Ask your counsellor to contact us:

If you are needing urgent help please call 111 immediately.

Call or text 1737
They are available any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You’ll get to talk to (or text with) a trained counsellor and the service is completely free.

Want support in the meantime, from farmers who can relate?

Call 0800 Rural Help, for a Rural Support Trust Facilitator to pay you a visit
bottom of page